Inside Cut Turn - Crossing - Change of Direction - 1v1 Moves for U8-U9
A defender coming in from the side can be surprised by turning in the direction the defender is coming from. The change of direction will be preceded by an inside cut and turn to shield the ball from the defender.
Practise this 1v1 move along with the drills Take Inside Cut (Static Ball Control Drills for U8-U9) and Take Inside Cut (Cones Dribbling Drills for U8-U9).
When starting with the right foot:
(Switch left and right below when starting with the left foot)
- Dribble with the right foot.
- Keep an eye on the defender coming from the side (left).
- Cut the ball with the inside of the left foot.
- Reposition the right foot by turning in the direction the defender was coming from (right).
- Take the ball and accelerate away from the defender.
Things to watch out for:
- Timing is important.
- Cut the ball by placing the inside of the foot behind the ball at angle greater than 90°. This avoids the ball rolling of your feet in the wrong direction.
- Relieve the pressure on the foot performing the cut before using it as a pivoting point for the turn. Avoid too much strain on the ankles!
- After the turn, guide or slide the ball with the inside of the foot because the ball is not moving and too close to take it comfortably with a simple touch.